Have you committed to new fitness or diet regime for 2015? If you're looking for support in the way of a diet plan or supplements, there's no shortage of options. Online and TV ads with dramatic before and after photos can be very persuasive. Claims of renewed health and energy, bolstered by testimonials from six-pack-ab-sporting men and women are hard to dismiss. Don't the claims have to be at least partially true to be published? (Answer: No, not really.) I want to remind you to be extremely wary of any company that promises...
- to melt or bust belly fat (or any other fat) with a shake or tablet
- to detox you (you don't need detoxifying unless you've been literally poisoned or have a serious disease like kidney failure that requires dialysis)
- weight loss while exclusively (or nearly exclusively) eating their specially formulated foods and shakes
- drastic weight loss fast--greater than 2-3 pounds per week
- more vitamins than X pounds of broccoli/oranges/spinach in one of their shakes/capsules/bars
- weight loss through restriction of an entire food group
- anything that sounds too good to be true. Because it usually is
- to help you "loose weight." This one is a personal bugaboo: If a company doesn't know the difference between the words "lose" and "loose," they're not a professional operation.
Will some of these strategies work in the short term? Possibly. But if you're in this for the long haul, if you want to truly improve your health and not just drop a few pounds, and if don't want to relaunch a new diet on January 1st, 2016, what kind of support should you look for?
Look for a plan, book or coach that...
- promotes overall wellness as a means to weight loss
- will actually teach you strategies for eating in nutritious ways
- promotes real food, not food-like substances.
I would love to offer you a free consult to talk about your wellness goals for 2015 and how I can support you--no supplements or shakes, I promise! Feel free to look around my site and to get in touch by email to email@example.com, Facebook message or in the comments below.
If you'd prefer support in a group setting, Charm City Run is launching a fantastic Wellness program at each of their stores, and I'm excited to lead the program at their Baltimore store in McHenry Row. Please be in touch with your questions, and here's to a happy healthy New Year!